To help you prepare for the upcoming holidays, our staff has come up with some tips and words of encouragement. Add any or all of them to your recovery toolbox for upcoming holiday events.
- Continue doing what works for you despite the fact that your schedule may change, stress may increase, and time may be short.
- Remember: it’s progress, not perfection.
- Have a plan for food and skills to use during the day.
- Keep practicing self-care by feeding yourself, getting enough water, moving when/if/how it makes sense for your body, resting when you need to, and connecting with others.
- All foods fit, and your body knows how to use them.
- Allow yourself to ask for more support from others you trust, whether that be family, friends, or treatment team members.
- Remember that although it may seem like everyone is sharing happy memories with their loved ones, not everyone is and it’s okay since that is often real life. Stay away from social media if it allows you to have a more realistic picture of the world.
- Consider what would make you enjoy the holiday season more, whether that be doing something traditional, such as baking or going to church, or something less traditional, such as getting a pedicure or volunteering. Make the holiday season your season, not something that you think it should be.
Wishing you all a happy holiday season!