Our Outpatient Treatment Supports Your Child's Recovery
Children, teens, and young adults have different concerns than adults. Our providers here specialize in adolescents and will design a treatment plan to suit your child’s needs. Whether it’s individual, group, or family sessions (or all three), The Emily Program offers a continuum of developmentally appropriate treatment options for all young people. Scheduled around school hours, our individual and group sessions build in times for family involvement—a crucial part of recovery.
Outpatient Care Strengthens Connections
With years of experience treating teens and young adults struggling with anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, compulsive eating, and related mental health issues, including substance use disorders, we know the value of family involvement in recovery. Outpatient therapy helps your child reconnect with family, friends, and community.
Our adolescent outpatient services team shapes its care programs on these core values:
- Passion: We are passionate about treating eating disorders and helping our clients get well.
- Respect: Clients and families come first—we have empathy and patience for everyone in our community.
- Commitment: We are committed to facilitating the recovery of the greatest number of people in need.
- Collaboration: We partner with families and communities to offer flexible treatment options.
We’ve designed our adolescent services so that parents, stepparents and/or loved ones will actively participate. The Emily Program offers support programs for siblings and counseling for co-parenting adults and couples, too.
Our team also reaches out to your community’s professionals who interact with your child, such as school staff and your physician, therapists, and dietitians, to ensure appropriate after-care. Recovery happens when we work together.
Personalized treatment plans
Our personalized treatment approach is based in Family-Based Treatment or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. We design a treatment plan to address your needs, using best practices in the field of eating disorders treatment. Your outpatient treatment plan may include:
- Individual therapy for one-on-one sessions with a therapist who specializes in eating disorders and associated health complications
- Group therapy with other adolescents and young adults experiencing similar issues, thoughts, and feelings
- Family therapy, if appropriate, to involve parents, siblings, and other family members in the healing process
- Nutrition education
- Medical and psychiatric services, as needed
In individual outpatient sessions at The Emily Program, you will meet one-on-one with a therapist, dietitian, psychiatrist, and/or physician. The type and frequency of individual sessions vary by treatment plan and are designed to help you move forward in recovery. These healing connections strengthen your recovery and help you learn and practice the skills you need for health.
At The Emily Program, we believe that group therapy can be an incredibly important part of your recovery from an eating disorder. Groups provide a safe, judgment-free environment to process thoughts, emotions, and behaviors with other people in similar situations. We offer many therapeutic and skill-building groups, such as Overcoming Your Eating Disorder, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Skills Training, and family-based groups. Group sessions vary by location. Your intake therapist and/or individual therapist will recommend a group that might be the best fit for you.
Click on the links below to learn more about group offerings at our locations:
- Twin Cities* – 2018 Catalog - Download PDF
*Includes groups at St. Louis Park, St. Paul (multiple locations), and Woodbury
- Cleveland – 2018 Catalog - Download PDF
- Seattle – 2018 Catalog - Download PDF
Start The Journey To Recovery Now
Use our online form to schedule an eating disorder assessment or call 1-888-364-5977. At The Emily Program, find help. And hope.