Around the Web, June 2017 edition
Here’s our list of the top 5 online news items and stories that have fascinated or inspired us recently.
1. ED in the movies. Last week, Netflix released a trailer for its film To The Bone, about a young woman struggling with anorexia. Concerns about the film are causing some controversy, but hopefully it will serve to raise awareness and stimulate much-needed conversations about eating disorders. (Note: consider skipping the trailer if you think it may be triggering for you.)
2. Words to heal by. Project HEAL compiled 20 inspirational quotes to help you cope with an eating disorder.
3. Feeling fit to speak up.This Washington Post article explains that gyms are often in a perfect position to help members struggling with disordered eating—but sometimes staff don’t know how to approach the subject.
4. Culture, religion, and ED. Complex issues are raised for those observing Ramadan while grappling with an eating disorder.
5. Body-positive men. Stylish Instagrammer Ryan Dziadul is committed to creating a digital space for men to participate in the body-positive movement.
If you come across a story that you’d like to share, let us know at email@example.com!