Direct Admissions at The Emily Program
We understand that taking the first step to starting eating disorder treatment is huge. Many of our staff have been there, too. We know that making the first call to The Emily Program can be stressful and scary, which is why we aim to make it as easy as possible. Our admissions line (1-888-364-5977) is open 7 days a week and staffed with admissions specialists who can help start you on the road to recovery.
What does Direct Admissions mean?
The goal of direct admissions is to get clients into treatment at The Emily Program as quickly and as seamlessly as possible. We aim to prevent any gaps in care if the client is transitioning from a different facility or program. The Emily Program offers direct admission to individuals that meet certain requirements and who experience barriers to completing the traditional intake process.
There are two factors that make an individual eligible for direct admission at The Emily Program:
- The individual is at another facility and wants to transfer to The Emily Program
- The individual lives “out-of-footprint” (too far from an Emily Program location) where attending an intake is a barrier to accessing care
The Emily Program coordinates direct admits not only from other eating disorder treatment facilities, but also from facilities such as acute treatment programs, hospitals, behavioral health programs, outpatient providers, and chemical dependency treatment centers. The admissions team will help determine if a client is appropriate for the direct admit process and schedule the client for an intake appointment with a Phone Intake Therapist/Nurse.
After completing a phone intake with the Phone Intake Therapist/Nurse, clients and their treatment teams (if applicable) will receive a level of care recommendation. The Phone Intake Therapist/Nurse will assist in determining which location is the best fit for the client and will remain the main point of contact until the client’s admission date.
The Direct Admissions Process
If you are interested in direct admission to The Emily Program and meet the requirements above, these are the steps you will need to take.
- The client (or a member of their care team) should call The Emily Program admissions team at 1-888-364-5977. During this call, the admissions team will gather basic information to include insurance information and general demographics.
- After the Admissions Specialist gathers basic information and determines if the client should follow the direct admit process, they will schedule a phone intake.
- A Phone Intake Therapist/Nurse will call the client to complete the phone intake at the scheduled time. A member of the client’s care team or a family member (with the client’s verbal permission) may complete the phone intake for the client if preferred.
- Following the phone intake, the Phone Intake Therapist/Nurse will make a level of care recommendation for the client.
- If the client agrees with this recommendation, our staff will move forward with requesting a tentative admission date from the appropriate site.
- Medical clearance is required for admission. Therefore, within 10 days prior of their tentative admission date, the client must see a medical professional to complete required medical tests for our medical clearance process. These should then be faxed to the Phone Intake Therapist/Nurse.
- The Emily Program’s Medical Admissions Specialist will review the medical information and either clear the client to admit to the recommended level of care or make alternative recommendations.
- If the client is cleared, the Phone Intake Therapist/Nurse will assist with planning the logistics of their admission to include providing lodging information, a packing list, and program information, reviewing benefit information, and connecting the client with the appropriate staff at the site. The client will complete an in-person intake and admit on their admit date.
An example of a direct admit is a client discharging from an acute inpatient facility. The client’s treatment team calls the Admissions team to schedule a phone intake. The phone intake is completed and the client is recommended for the appropriate level of care. A tentative admit date is set for The Emily Program and the client’s current team faxes needed medical clearance information within 10 days of admission. Once the client is medically cleared, the admission date is confirmed and the client will have an intake evaluation and admit to treatment on the confirmed date.
While this process of direct admissions may seem long, it can potentially take clients only 48 hours to admit to The Emily Program. However, we do note that every case is different and some clients may be able to admit faster than others based on a variety of factors, including program waitlists, access to medical appointments, planned discharge dates from current programs, and other barriers to care.
Frequently Asked Questions
I live far away from an Emily Program location. Why should I consider direct admissions?
We offer direct admission to individuals who live far away from an Emily Program location to make sure we are making the process as accessible as possible. By offering direct admissions for individuals who live outside of an Emily Program area, we are able to maximize efficiency by allowing those individuals to complete a phone intake and then an in-person intake on the day of their admission so they don’t have to schedule and plan additional long-distance trips.
I’m in a different facility. When should I schedule my phone intake?
It is recommended that you schedule your phone intake as soon as possible. A Phone Intake Therapist/Nurse will work with you and your treatment team around your tentative discharge date while also working to set a tentative admit date at The Emily Program, making the transition between the two programs as seamless as possible.
I still have questions. Who can I ask?
Our admissions team is happy to answer any additional questions. You can reach them at 1-888-364-5977 seven days a week. Phone line hours are as follows: Monday through Thursday, 7:30am–6:30pm CT; Fridays, 7:30am–5pm CT; Saturdays and Sundays, 9am–5pm CT.
The Emily Program strives to provide exceptional care and treatment to those suffering from eating disorders. If you are interested in learning more about our services or scheduling an intake assessment, please reach out to us at 1-888-364-5977 to start the process today.