10 Ways to Practice Self-Care
“Nourishing yourself in a way that helps you blossom in the direction you want to go is attainable, and you are worth the effort.”― Deborah Day
Throughout recovery, distressing world events, and day-to-day life, there are many tools we can utilize to maintain balance and a sense of well-being.
Practicing self-care routinely can be a very useful tool, and it should not be neglected. For many, developing and practicing self-care can feel difficult, unfamiliar or even selfish at first. However, nourishing yourself through self-care can help you manage stress, set healthy boundaries in relationships, and promote overall physical, mental, and emotional health. Make time to check in with yourself, and pick one of these small activities to practice self-care as often as needed. It is important to note that what serves as self-care for one person may not be right for another. Find things that work for you.
1. Spend time in nature. Go for a short walk, sit by a lake, or garden.
2. Say no to events or activities when needed.
3. Watch a favorite movie that you haven’t seen in a long time.
4. Meditate or practice deep breathing.
5. Listen to music that soothes and inspires you.
6. Read a book.
7. Spend time with your furry friends.
8. Journal, draw, or try an adult coloring book.
9. Take a long shower or a hot bubble bath.
10. Take a break from your computer, phone, or social media.