Around the Web
Check out our list of the top 5 online news items and stories that have fascinated or inspired us recently.
1. Speaking from experience. Men who have struggled with eating disorders share their experiences, touching on subjects such as family dynamics, co-occurring conditions, and self-esteem.
2. When “clean eating” goes too far. A ubiquitous diet trend right now is the “clean” diet, which often focuses on restricting refined sugars, processed food, gluten and dairy. This article discusses how demonizing certain foods as “bad” can lead to food-related shame and even orthorexia in some vulnerable dieters.
3. Books working their magic. Evanna Lynch, who played Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter movies, opened up about how the book series and her pen pal J.K. Rowling helped her cope with an eating disorder.
4. Notoriously Dapper, Notoriously Inspirational. Kelvin Davis, a body confidence advocate, talks body diversity, fatherhood, and the “myth of masculinity” in this interview with NEDA.
5. Breaking down stereotypes. It’s a common misconception that ED only occurs in white, economically advantaged young women. This article explains why it’s dangerous to forget that “eating disorders affect people of all genders, ages, races, ethnicities, body shapes and weights, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic statuses.”